In the 8th grade, teens begin to be accountable for serving others as part of their Catholic commitment. That said, giving of oneself is not restricted to an assignment during a year of Faith Formation — it is a lifelong endeavor!
The Faith Formation program requires that teens accumulate 35 hours of service:
The program requires that half of your hours benefit the parish and that some of those hours be in a prayer ministry. Parish prayer ministries include serving as a greeter, usher, singer, instrumentalist, altar server, reader, spending an hour at Eucharistic Adoration on Tuesdays, bringing Communion to the sick and home bound, etc. Other parish activities include mission trip and fundraisers, working with the parish food pantry, being a catechist aide, etc.
The remainder of your hours can be for the larger community. You may include things you are doing for organizations at school, helping a teacher, Germantown Youth Futures, etc.
Please use the Service and Retreat Log to enter times that you have been of service.
If you are unsure about an activity, talk to a Faith Formation staff person. The biggest criteria is giving of yourself without pay for the service of others to make a difference in our community.
1. Cook and/or Serve a Meal for the Homeless -- Check back for the next opportunity! MacCanon Brown's Homeless Sanctuary (MBHS) in Milwaukee. You can cook a dish OR donate food by dropping it off at St. Boniface. You can also serve food at MBHS from 1:30 to 6 pm. Adults are needed to drive and chaperone.
Ongoing Service Opportunities...
1. St. B Food Pantry -- Sort and stock on select days. Sign up with Peggy McMichael at email@example.com.
2. Youth Singers and Musicians -- Play at the 10 am Mass on the fourth Sunday of the month during the school year -- you can pick and choose among the options. Rehearse on the Sunday prior from 11 am to 12 noon in the Franciscan Room. Youth are excused from the first hour of Faith Formation but should attend for the remaining half hour. Grades 4 and up are welcome. Sign up with Music Minister at 262- 628-2040 x13.
3. Youth Ushers, Altar Servers, Lectors, and Eucharistic Ministers -- High School youth are encouraged to serve at Mass in any of these ministries. The one exception is Eucharistic Ministers -- these youth must be confirmed. Please do not think you are too old to be an Altar Server -- older servers are appreciated, especially for feast days. Contact Jean Kascht at firstname.lastname@example.org or (262) 628-8143.
4. Meals for Fr. Loyola -- Provide dinners to Fr. Loyola on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays during the school year. Prepare meals in a disposable container and bring them to the Parish or School Office after 8:30 am on your assigned day. Contact Lisa Ziolkowski at email@example.com or 262-512-0272.
5. Help Our Kids’ Closet -- Please donate your like-new children's clothing, sizes newborn through 14/16. You can drop your donations at St. B in the Our Kids' Closet bin located in the upper parking lot next to the garage. They are also seeking volunteers to help in the facility to sort and hang clothes and help during open shopping hours. Simply show up! See http://www.ourkidscloset.blogspot.com. A complete 2016 calendar is HERE.
6. Citizen Advocates Respite Group --One Saturday a month from 4 to 7 pm at Silverbrook Intermediate School in West Bend. Provide respite care for students (age 3 to 21) and their siblings so their parents / families can enjoy some time for themselves. Open to high school and middle school youth. Includes pizza dinner. More info at http://cawash.org/youth-respite-program. Contact Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. The Salvation Army's Community Meal -- Dinner on Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Saturdays. Work in the kitchen (4:30 to to 6:30 pm) or serve the meal (4 to 6 pm). Located at 445 Madison Street in Waukesha. Sign up online at http://app.volunteer2.com/Public/Organization/3511c931-9aa2-4979-8468-27b6ed6f7498/2.
8. Fall Festival volunteer the weekend of September 4 and 5. Sign up after all weekend Masses.
Check back often for updates!